Six cement plants received special recognition for their commitment to improving the environment and their communities at the Sixth Annual Cement Industry Environment and Energy Awards, presented by the Portland Cement Association and Cement Americas magazine at the PCA’s spring meeting in March.
The awards honor facilities that “exemplify the spirit of continuous environmental improvement and support this spirit with action,” according to a news release. “These plants went beyond government regulations and local laws to ensure that their processes and policies contributed to making their communities better places to live and work.”
The winners are as follows:
- Overall Environmental Excellence: St. Marys Cement Inc., Charlevoix, Mich.
- Outreach: Holcim (U.S.) Inc., Theodore, Ala.
- Environmental Performance: St. Marys Cement Inc., Bowmanville, Ontario
- Land Stewardship: Cemex, Davenport, Calif.
- Innovation: Cemex, Knoxville, Tenn.
- Energy Efficiency: California Portland Cement Co., Mojave, Calif.