Concrete contractors with exemplary safety records for 2020 were recognized by the Safety & Risk Management Council (SRMC) of the American Society of Concrete Contractors (ASCC), St. Louis, Mo. The safety award winners received recognition at the association’s Annual Conference in St. Louis on September 23, 2021.
ASCC awarded the W. Burr Bennett Awards for Safety Excellence to specialty contractor Hemma Concrete, Marietta, Ga. and general contractor Sundt Construction, Tempe, Ariz. ASCC presents the awards to contractors that place the highest priority on safety. Entries are judged on three years of safety performance indicators, values and trends; a self-assessment checklist of company safety practices; and detailed descriptions of safety plans and culture.
Additional awards based on the incident rate for 2020 were presented to general and specialty contractors in four categories. 47 contractors received awards for zero lost time due to accidents. Additionally, 24 contractors received recognition for having lowered their incident rate from the previous year. 68 contractors received certificates for achieving an incident rate below the national average.
General contractors receiving the Outstanding Safety Achievement Award for the lowest incident rate
- Sundt Construction, Inc., Tempe, AZ (more than 650,000 work hours);
- Chesapeake Contracting Group, Reisterstown, MD (160,000 – 650,000 work hours)
- and Raffin Construction, Chicago, IL (less than 160,000 work hours)
Specialty contractors receiving the Outstanding Safety Achievement Award
- Wayne Brothers Companies, Davidson, NC (more than 400,000 work hours);
- Hemma Concrete, Marietta, GA (100,000 – 399,999 work hours)
- and Giles Incorporated, Artesia, NM (less than 90,000 work hours)
Companies recognized for outstanding fleet safety records:
- (1– 399,999 miles) – K & M Concrete Construction, Edgerton, MN, 370,040 miles with zero accidents;
- (400,000 – 1,299,999 miles) – Woodland Tilt-Up, Jupiter, FL, 800,000 miles with zero accidents; and
- (1,300,000+ miles) – Buesser Concrete, Eau Claire, WI, 1,800,000 miles with zero accidents.
The ASCC Safety & Risk Management Council educates contractors on all aspects of safety relating to both concrete contracting and insurance matters. The Council also provides oversight on safety publications and events.
About the ASCC
The ASCC is a non-profit organization that dedicates itself to enhancing the capabilities of those who build with concrete. It also provides them a unified voice in the construction industry. Members include concrete contracting firms, manufacturers, suppliers and others interested in the concrete industry such as architects, specifiers and distributors. There are approximately 730 member companies in the United States and 12 foreign countries.
For more information, either visit www.ascconline.org or call the ASCC office at (866) 788-2722.