The ACI Resource Center in Southern California will host the inaugural ACI Slabs Week at its San Bernardino, CA, location October 26-29, 2021. The week will include educational seminars, certification review sessions and exams, and offers a special opportunity to earn an ACI Specialty Commercial/Industrial Concrete Flatwork Finisher and Technician certification.
The first two days of ACI Slabs Week focus on educational seminars lead by subject-matter experts from around the country. The first seminar, Design of Concrete Slabs-on-Ground, will be lead by Scott Tarr, President of North S. Tarr Concrete Consulting, and also James Loper, Structural Engineer and Operations Manager at Jacobs Engineering. Wednesday’s seminar, Construction of Concrete Slabs-on-Ground, will be led by Amir Bonakdar, Business Development Manager at Euclid Chemical, and also Kim Basham, President and Senior Structural Engineer at KB Engineering. Engineers, designers, and contractors can expect to interact with experienced and knowledgeable peers while also earning CEUs.
Beginning in the afternoon on Wednesday, October 27, 2021, both finishers and contractors can attend certification review sessions.
- ACI Specialty Commercial/Industrial Flatwork Finisher and Technician, led by William “Rusty” Owings, Manager of the ACI Resource Center
- ACI Concrete Flatwork Finisher, led by Bryan Birdwell, Senior Consultant/Principal at Structural Services Inc.
- and, ACI Decorative Concrete Flatwork Finisher, led by Lance Boyer, President of Trademark Concrete Systems
Exams for both the Concrete Flatwork Finisher and Decorative Concrete Flatwork Finisher will take place immediately following review sessions. Programming will conclude on Friday with the performance exam for the ACI Specialty Commercial/Industrial Concrete Flatwork Finisher and Technician certification.
“ACI Slabs Week provides both a convenient and unique opportunity for engineers, designers, contractors, and finishers to grow their knowledge and expertise in concrete slab design and finishing through a consolidated regional event,” stated Michael Morrison, Manager of Certification Program Development at the American Concrete Institute. “In addition to educational content and exam preparation, we’re pleased to offer, for the first time ever, an expanded opportunity for attendees to earn an ACI Specialty Commercial/Industrial Concrete Flatwork Finisher and Technician certification during Slabs Week at the ACI Resource Center – Southern California.”
- ACI Concrete Flatwork Finisher review session and exam – October 27, 2021 (PM)
- ACI Specialty Commercial/Industrial Concrete Flatwork Finisher and Technician review session and written exam – October 28, 2021
- Educational seminars on Design of Slabs-on-Ground and Construction of Slabs-on-Ground – October 26-27, 2021
- ACI Decorative Concrete Flatwork Finisher review session and written exam; ACI Specialty Commercial/Industrial Concrete Flatwork Finisher and Technician performance exam – October 29, 2021
The American Concrete Institute is a leading global authority for the development, dissemination, and adoption of its consensus-based standards. It also serves as a technical resource and offers educational, training and certification programs. Founded in 1904, ACI has its headquarters in Farmington Hills, Michigan, USA. It also has a regional office in Dubai, UAE, and a resource center in Southern California. www.concrete.org