Cheng Concrete Exchange announced the winners of its third annual Members’ Circle of Distinction Design Challenge at World of Concrete 2007. Leading the pack was Eric Boyd of Reaching Quiet Design, Charlotte, N.C., who took “Best of Show” honors at the Las Vegas, Nev., ceremony.
The industry’s only concrete countertop design competition received 77 submissions, which were culled down to a total of seven “Best” category winners and seven Honorable Mention recipients. The contest was open exclusively to members of Cheng Concrete Exchange, an online resource and directory that provides building professionals, designers, homeowners and do-it-yourselfers with training, design ideas and business opportunities. The Exchange membership list includes about 275 concrete professionals.
“This year’s competition raised the bar again to another level, without a doubt,” said concrete countertop expert and Exchange founder Fu-Tung Cheng in a press release. “The Concrete Exchange members who submitted their work are pushing themselves, their peers, and the industry to innovate and deliver outstanding design solutions and craftsmanship. They are redefining what is possible in concrete. I am proud of the winners, and all who entered, and I relish the exchange as pupils inspire the teacher.”
The reception for the Design Awards, held at Cheng Concrete Exchange’s World of Concrete booth, was standing-room-only as attendees crowded in to see the submitted work and winning entries. Members from all over North America were in attendance, and nearly all Circle of Distinction award winners were on hand to personally receive their award from Cheng.
Entries were evaluated on exceptional design, technical skill and overall aesthetic appeal.
- Best of Show: Eric Boyd, Reaching Quiet Design, Charlotte, N.C.
- Best Kitchen Countertop: Chris Stollery, Cast in Concrete Design, B.C., Canada
- Best Bathroom Countertop: Chris Becker, Becker Architectural Concrete, South St. Paul, Minn.
- Best Integral Sink: Chris Frazer, DC Custom Concrete, San Diego, Calif.
- Best Decorative Finish: Gregory Mata, Cutting Edge Decorative Concrete, Richfield, Ohio
- Best Functional Feature: Sean Dunston, Concrete Jungle, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Best Three-Dimensional Application: Keelin Kennedy, Barefoot Design, Chicago, Ill.
- Jack Cooper, Cooper’s Custom Surfaces, Cardiff by the Sea, Calif. (2)
- Mike Moncrieff, New Edge Design, Lynden, Wash.
- Sean Dunston, Concrete Jungle, Colorado Springs, Colo.
- Michael Power, Power Design, Waco, Texas
- Ian Wyndlow, Liquid Stone Studios, B.C., Canada
- Justin Hawkins, Livingstone Studios, Lincoln, R.I.
For design ideas and complete photo galleries, or to become a Concrete Exchange Member, visit: www.concreteexchange.com.